Monday, May 11, 2009

Slugs like beer?

It all started when we noticed that our little growing garden had some really big holes in them.

IMG_5015
IMG_5021

After spraying insectasoap and other methods will very little results, my husband decided to inspect the leaves at night. He found slugs. I didn't even know slugs ate plants, just thought they were gross slimy things that just left a gross trail behind them wherever they went. But here they were, eating our basil, despite my ignorance.

So after a little bit of searching on the internet, my husband goes on a beer run. Not for us, but for the slugs. The theory is that the beer, placed in shallow bowls or saucers, attracts the slugs and then (I'm sorry) they drown.

So Nate and I head out to our backyard with flashlights, bowls, beer, and boots and gloves (me).

IMG_5028

Then, I saw it. I may have dreams about this slug. Bad ones.

IMG_5016

It was the biggest slug I've EVER seen. Until a few minutes later. They were EVERYWHERE!

IMG_5031

But, they did like the beer.

IMG_5022

And I panicked. I don't like creepy, crawly things. Especially creepy, crawly, slimy things. I don't do bugs, and now, I don't do slugs. My husband may have a hard time getting me to go outside after dark. Which is unfortunate because we just got a great old Amish made big picnic table.

Nate just popped his head in the house to tell me he's winning. He's taking this very seriously.

I'd prefer not to know they exist. (just being honest.)

1 comment:

I'm so glad that you've stopped by this blog & I LOVE hearing your feedback and questions — however, as this blog is no longer active I may not see it!! But no worries! I've moved all content from this blog to my new website and would appreciate it if you visited me over there: Lori Danelle.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails